Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2008

In dreams, we remember how to fly

I've mentioned this before, but at various times during and certainly after my return to New York, this last summer has felt truly dreamlike, and while this was merely an interesting sensation at the time, the more I dwell on it the more I am troubled by it. When I returned to school, I immediately sought out a comfortable niche for myself, and while I think I've already taken great strides to make my experience this year far superior to last year's debacle, already I see the signs of habituation and comfort taking their toll on the ambition I had at summer's end. During the final days of August I was genuinely restless, chomping at the bit to get back to work and take what I saw to be the next step for my life. I felt like I was on the verge of something, and while some of the perspective that these last months have afforded me remains and has contributed to the growth I've undergone, I feel slightly disappointed by the anti-climactic nature of my return. Once again, I find it hard to see where I'm going, and although I've been much more active at school and in the city, and feel as if I'm getting more use out of the opportunities afforded to me by simply being in such an amazing city, even this more exciting lifestyle feels as if it has become routine. I used to write this blog daily, and now I'm having trouble scraping enough cognition together to write a blurb a week. I feel disconnected from this summer, remember it as if it was lived by someone else, but I remain amazed by everything I experienced over such a short amount of time. I suppose returning to the same place and similar activities after vacation would likely have this effect, and I'm not sure exactly what else I was expecting to happen, but I hope I never forget how I felt at the end of my time back home.

I suppose this kind of growth is slow.

On the lighter side, everyone go here:
http://tighroslin.com/

Hope everyone is well. I'd really like to hear what everyone's up to these days.

Paul, hope you're feeling better after last night. Remember that feeling and have mercy on me. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dont u dare have mercy paul
we shall be relentless as the sea
and you will love us for it
and it will rock
:)
brb

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, we shall see...