Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Trains, first attempt



I like riding on trains. It reminds me of how much I will never know and never see. I stare out the windows at the places in between, all the places I'll never call home, and wonder at the strange fortune of ending up in my own skin. On the train, I smile at everyone, and I love them in a way I couldn't love them if we were to pass on the street. We're all on our way somewhere I think, and I smile. We're only together for a short time, in a small place, with the whole world outside the window waiting for us to turn our heads, to look out at places never given to us to love but for a fleeting second until they pass beyond our vision. And maybe we look at each other, weightless in the void, to see ourselves - small things adrift in infinity.

How much like life it is.

1 comment:

Lili said...

One of my favorites...lovely in its brevity.