Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2009

What I'm trying to say is...

I've learned two new things about myself recently:

1. I like weird people, exceptionally free spirited people, people who have learned that life is an end unto itself. I feel like I can learn from them.

2. I'm not comfortable playing second fiddle in my own life, which is tough when I want to learn new things. I'm uncomfortable with hero worship for this reason as well, but godammit all I wanted to ask him was how to be more like him and less like the person I am now, stuck in a rut.

I just came up with that last one, so it's gonna be three things

3. I want to do more things with my hands. I want to create and tinker. Pick locks and play piano. I'm not quite sure why. Yes I do. It seems more sincere, less abstracted from life. I seem like just the person to dissect experiences to such a scientific level that the life is gone from them, and yet for some reason the social sciences aren't fulfilling at all, go figure. Another instance of wanting to be more like some ideal other than what I am? Perhaps. Perhaps I've just got too many of my own questions to give a fig about Chinese nationalism or the miserable lives of Japanese office ladies. I feel like I'm more alive than all of them, but have somehow forgotten how to speak, and how to walk. I need something real to teach me how to do those things again, differently and better this time.

Interactions with people are strange these days. I have trouble listening to what they say, which is no way to have a conversation. I think I'm afflicted by a strange sense of superiority where I think I'm different from everyone, which has come to equal better in my mind, but at the same time all I want is for someone to get through to me. My friends do that. Increasingly, people I've never met who's work I admire have done that, and then suddenly I meet them and feel inadequate. I need more to show for my life.

Angst over weekend activities continues, but I think I'm narrowing the field. I want things to do rather than places to go, and I want these things to involve a few people who could be friends. I don't want to simply attend different places. I guess this fits with my new desire to develop awesome skills and talents in order to affirm my worth.

I think I would like to write something. A story maybe, some kind of fiction. First I need to learn how to write, and to do that I need to read more. This is another new project.

Maybe the story would start like:

He was leaving today, and each step was considered as he made his way down the street to the subway station. He was reckoning with the city, trying to find the feeling this place inspired in him, the exact notion he would take with him as he made his way back home. To be charitable, he would remember it as it was now, gray and smelling of rain. Even the wind was gray as it shook the bare trees. It was palpable in the air and the whole world seemed very small and muffled, trapped in a snow globe of rain and clouds.

And maybe it would end like:

He opened his eyes as he leaned against the glass, and the sun was still there.

So now I just need to write the middle part, go back and fix the first and last parts, and we'll have our story. No sweat.

So what else? In trying to write the above it became apparent to me that I can only write autobiographically and that I want desperately to go on a journey somewhere, or at least to just leave this place. I think maybe I need to not be so intent on writing something in order for it to be good. My inner voice is pompous and wordy and has no idea what I want to say.

I need to feel exceptional, but it seems like chances of that being anything other than a delusion are getting slimmer by the minute.

Damn.

5 comments:

UNSC AI CTN 0452-9 said...

"I need to feel exceptional, but it seems like chances of that being anything other than a delusion are getting slimmer by the minute."

All i'm saying is you gotta believeee.
The chances that you are exceptional in a world of 6 billion is low. how do u even measure that? Exceptional is a feeling so like most feelings its contrived. Its just a question of what you have to do in order to feel that way. most people want to be exceptional i think, but its really a question of what you have to do in order to convince yourself that you are exceptional. how do you explain all the people that toil endlessly doing things they hate (ie business) to increase their power or monetary value? but as the saying goes there are two ways to be rich get more or desire less.

Lili said...

Not that I disagree with Brian, but there's a different kind of exceptional for which to aim, too. To put it in the most cliche but relatable terms possible (I'm in a rush!), sometimes all you need is to feel happy, content, alive -- that kind of exceptional. Not in comparison to anything. And that way, you don't even really need to actively go for anything...you just live and keep living and trying.

UNSC AI CTN 0452-9 said...

rereading my original comments i feel like i didnt really convey the point i wanted too. basically there are two ways to feel exceptional: do exceptionalthings or lie to urself better

Lili said...

What makes something exceptional? Who decides? If it's an us-deciding type of thing, how do we know when we're not lying to ourselves? If its a them-deciding type of thing, is it really any better to be lied to by others? Maybe the best we can hope is that there's some sort of universal measure for exceptionality. Personally, I'm okay with telling myself things are exceptional and believing enough not to think it's a lie.

P.S. I'm running on zero sleep, so this might not make any sense. I'm trying, though.

Unknown said...

why fiction?

you remind me of something someone said to me:

fiction unfolds before the reader like a continuous dream, whereas an essay strives to convey an emotional truth that is unassailable.

or something like that.